If you’re anything like me you, love hamburgers but if you’re trying to eat healthy you have to forgo them to reach your fitness goals. Turkey burgers are a great low fat alternative to a greasy burger. On the side, you can do a mixed greens salad with some balsamic vinaigrette or if you are seriously craving some fries you can get some fresh potatoes and make fries in the oven. The quick and easy recipes are below:
- 2¾ Pounds Ground Turkey Breast
- ⅝ Cup Sourdough Bread Crumbs
- 1¼ Cups Low-Fat Buttermilk (I usually skip this)
- 5 Tablespoons Green (Spring) Onions — minced
- 5 Tablespoons Parsley
- 1¾ teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 7 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- Black Pepper — to taste
- Low-Fat Swiss Cheese Slices
- 1. Preheat grill or broiler.
- 2. Combine all ingredients and form into patty.
- 3. Grill until cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes per side. Top with cheese slice.
- Put it on a whole wheat bun and you have a great alternative to a traditional hamburger!
- Get a bag of mixed greens (I prefer the baby romaine and spinach)
- Add in your favorite veggies
Top it with a low fat dressing. Stick with something that doesnt look creamy, that’s usually your best bet. Dressings like Ranch, Caesar, 1000 island are packed with fat and calories.
OR you can try making your own dressing
DYI Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2:1 ratio of olive oil to balsamic vinegar (I usually do 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of pepper
Put the mixture in a container with a lid, shake well and viola! Yummy, healthy homemade dressing.
Healthy French Fries
If you just cant do without your fries, here is a healther alternative.
- Get a few large russet potatoes
- Rinse them off
- Cut them into thin slices like french fries
- Place them in a large bowl
- Add 1tsp. of olive oil and season to taste
- Put them on a baking sheet
- Bake them in the oven at 425 for 35 min
If you are impatient like me, before you put the potatoes in the oven stick them in the microwave for a few minutes to cook them quicker. Then, turn the oven up to 500 or broil and wait (2-5 min) for them to brown. This takes about 10 min as opposed to 35-40 min.
Happy, healthy eating!