I’ve got another quick, simple recipe for you guys! I’ve made this one before, but I made it a little healthier this time. I used brown rice noodles and Quorn (chicken substitute). This soup is SERIOUSLY GOOD and it takes about 15 minutes to make.
Just in case you don’t know the benefits of brown rice (or rice noodles) vs white rice (noodles), check it out:
Brown rice is the whole rice grain with just the first outer layer (husk or hull) removed through milling. It retains its fiber and germ which contains vital nutrients.
White rice is brown rice that has been milled to remove the bran and much of the germ, reducing fiber and nutrient content. The grain is further polished to take away the remaining layer of germ (called the aleurone layer) which contains essential oils. These oils are what oxidize and go rancid, so removing them makes white rice keep longer.
Health Benefits of Brown Rice
Brown rice has:
- Twice the manganese and phosphorus as white
- 2 ½ times the iron
- 3 times vitamin B3
- 4 times the vitamin B1
- 10 times the vitamin B6
– It is a great source of manganese which is essential for energy production, antioxidant activity, and sex hormone production.
– High fiber and selenium content which reduces colon cancer. The fiber in brown rice reduces the time cancer-causing substances spend in the colon. Selenium has been shown to substantially reduce the risk of colon cancer. White rice has very little fiber.
– Brown rice assist weight loss and reduces metabolic problems. Eating whole grains with lots of fiber, like brown rice, helps with maintaining optimal weight while refined grains have been linked to weight gain, type two diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
– Lower cholesterol. A study at Louisiana State University showed that rice bran and rice bran oil reduced LDL (bad) cholesterol.
– Balanced energy. In macrobiotics, brown rice has balanced energy in terms of yin and yang.
- 1/2 package cellophane/rice noodles (I used brown rice noodles)
- 2-3 Quorn (meat substitute) patties or sub for extra noodles
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces vegetable broth
2 tablespoons fish sauce( I can never find this in the store!)
- 1tbs Thai chili paste ( I added this)
- 1tbs Hoisin sauce (this too)
- 2 tbs Soy sauce (this too :))
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Soak noodles in very hot tap water.
- While noodles are soaking, cut Quron into thin julienne strips.
- Heat oil in deep skillet over medium-high heat; add Quron; garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes. Mix in a tbs of hoisin sauce.
- Cook, stirring for 1 minute; then add broth and thai chili paste, soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Drain noodles and cut into short pieces, about 1-1 1/2 inches long.
- Arrange noodles in bottom of bowls; ladle soup over the top and sprinkle with cilantro, onion, and basil.