This is a modified version of my previous chicken tortilla soup recipe. Instead of chicken, I used Seitan which was even easier since I didn’t really have to cook it.
- 1 package of Seitan strips or cubes
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- I also added chopped 1 ancho chili and 1 jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1, 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 fresh green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
6 5 1/2 inches corn tortillas (I didn’t have any tortillas)
- 1 bell pepper (I had some chopped bell peppers left over from my vegetarian chili so I threw those in there as well)
- Shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
2. Cut tortillas in half, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. In a heavy medium skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil. Fry strips in hot oil, half at a time, about 1 minute or until crisp and light brown. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
3. Divide tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla strips. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.