Whitney and I love the benefits of eating a tablespoon of honey a day. We’ve found that it cures our allergies, plus its much more cost effective than buying OTC or prescription allergy medication. Personally, I like Texas Honey (Green label) and Roundrock Honey. I have used Roundrock for many years and pick it up online or at the Farmer’s Market on the weekends.
The benefits of honey are amazing but you MUST have a locally grown honey to have all of its benefits.
Here are a few tips about honey from benefits-of-honey.com
1. Honey is nature’s energy booster
- I started taking a teaspoon of honey before my run and its quickly replaced my GU energy gel.
- If you feel sluggish in the morning have a tablespoon of honey, that should perk you right up. I admit, I just squirt the bottle in my mouth!
2. Honey is a great immunity system builder
Honey’s antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties can help improve digestive system and help you stay healthy and fight disease. It is also a cleaning tonic. Before breakfast, mix a spoonful of honey and lemon juice from half a lemon into a cup of warm water and drink it.
3. Honey is a natural remedy for many ailments
I already discussed allergies but here are some other things I found out that honey is great for
- Cuts and bruises
- Sore throats- Honey Tea
- Sleeplessness – milk and honey remedy-
- Hangovers- Honey is gentle on the stomach and contains a mix of natural sugars which speeds up the oxidation of alcohol by the liver, acting as a ‘sobering’ agent. Follow this recipe: 15ml of liquid honey with 80ml of orange juice and 70ml of natural yogurt. Blend them together until smooth.
Honey and Hair
If you didnt know, honey is GREAT for your hair. Below are a few honey- based hair recipes to solve all kinds of hair issues.
Hair loss or baldness recipe
Mix 1 tsp. of honey with 1 tsp. of olive oil and 2 tsp. of water to make a paste. Massage this mixture onto the areas needing it the most (for baldness it would go on those thinned or hairless spots). This is best done before bedtime and the mixture will be left on for the night. Wash your hair as usual in the morning and continue to treat your hair with this mixture regularly.
Another honey mixture for these same issues would be a paste consisting of heated olive oil, 1 tbsp. of honey and 1 tsp. of cinnamon. Apply this to your scalp and leave it on for 5 to 15 minutes before washing your hair.
Hair Shine recipe
If your hair lacks shine or luster, a mixture of 2 tbps. of honey and 2 cups of warm water can help return the natural shine and will add health to your hair. After combining the solution, shake it thoroughly in a spray bottle with a wide nozzle and spray the mixture onto your hair. Brush it into your hair and let it dry or you can blow dry it.