A big part of loving your natural hair is knowing how to care for it, so CurlyNikki.com has complied a list of 10 natural beauty tips for happy, healthy hair.
- Binding wet hair into a tight pony is a curly hair care no-no, and can cause damage in the middle of the hair shaft. Instead, slick wet hair back with conditioner and a little oil or gel. Let it dry loose or use a headband to keep hair off the face.
- Avocado butter is quite effective in stretching curly hair. When hair is twisted or braided with the butter, it will generally have much less shrinkage than without it. Shea butter is another good example.
- Twist on wet hair and allow ample time for hair to completely dry. This is the cardinal rule for twist outs! Don’t take ‘em out before they have time to dry all the way. Untwisting when your hair is damp will inevitably give you the frizzies.
- Deep condition regularly as hair behaves best when it’s nice and moisturized. Hair looks great when you deep condition every week: it’s softer, more manageable, and less prone to knots and tangles.
- Co-wash or shampoo with sulfate, silicone and alcohol FREE products. When it comes to all your product try to keep it all natural.
- Don’t EVER skip your hair conditioner. Opt for all natural conditioners and not just the ones that say all natural but read the ingredients. Your conditioner is usually the initial source of moisture added besides water that you add to your hair so choose wisely.
- NEVER towel dry your hair. This only causes frizzness especially if you’re using a terry cloth towel. Drip dry, t-shirt dry or use a microfiber towel.
- It is imperative that you cover your hair while you sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet. If you don’t like to cover your hair, invest in a satin pillowcase. The satin is smooth and will not pull at the hair or absorb the moisture in the hair.
- Grab a spray bottle, fill it half way with water and add three tablespoons of olive oil. Shake well and use daily to add moisture to the hair. Spray liberally. You can always make more! (or you can use Sporty Afros G+ Moisturizing Spray instead, click the shop tab at the top of the page to purchase)
- The human head sheds on average 50-100 hairs each day. If you have curly coils, these little buggers are probably getting stuck in your coils rather than slipping out on their own. Detangling will help you get these hairs out and prevent tangles from reforming.