Packing for a destination wedding is a daunting task. I ridiculously overpacked for my wedding and paid a crap ton of money for overweight/extra checked bags. I had 2 large suitcases and a carryon. Although I was gone for two and a half weeks, I literally didn’t use/wear half of what I brought.
I was in Puerto Rico for my wedding for five days then on my honeymoon for nine days. I had so much crap that I ended up sending home one of my extra checked bags with my friend after the wedding. Here’s a simple destination wedding packing checklist.
- Dress(es) & garment bag
- Heels & flats
- Hair extensions (if applicable)
- Emergency kit
- Getting ready robe
- Makeup (don’t pack your full makeup arsenal if you hired a make up artist for the day of. Just pack the basics.)
All of these items will go in your carryon.
Rehearsal dinner outfit
- Shoes (try to make these universal so they go with multiple outfits)
- Accessories (try to make these universal so they go with multiple outfits)
Pack this in your carryon as well.
In tropical climates, I live in breezy dresses. If I could do it all over again, here’s what I’d pack.
- 7 pair of underwear (I like to have an extra pair or two)
- 1 regular bra
- 1 strapless bra
- 3 casual dresses
- 1 pair of shorts
- 2 shirts
- 2 swim suits
- 2 cover ups
- 1 light cardi or jean jacket
- 1 pair workout tights
- 2 workout shirts
- Wedding heels/rehearsal dinner shoes (pack in carryon)
- Wedding flats (packed in carryon)
- 1 pair tennis shoes
- 1 pair of beach flip flops (optional)
- 1 pair casual sandals
Put all of your hair care products in travel size containers. You won’t use an entire bottle of shampoo in 4 – 5 days. I promise.
- Wedding wig/extensions (this is packed in the carryon)
- Hair spray
- Lots of bobbi pins and pony tail holders
- 1 pair gold earrings
- 1 pair silver earrings
- 1 gold bracelet
- 1 chain necklace
- 2 pair of sunglasses
- 1 casual purse
- 1 beach bag
All of your toiletries should be in travel sized containers as well.
- Face wash
- Coconut oil (for face, hair and body)
- Acne cream (if needed)
- Extra contacts
- Contact solution
- Sun screen
- Bug spray
- Any other prescriptions
- Waterproof phone case or dry bag
- Head phones
- Memory card
- Layout each outfit complete with accessories and shoes on the floor
- Double check to make sure you have each piece of every outfit
- Separate items – items to be packed in your carryon and items to be packed in your checked bag
Here’s how an awesome guide about how to pack your bag in the most efficient way.
Missed the first part of my destination wedding series?
Follow Sporty Afros: