Hair loss is often associated with old age, however it is a form of disorder that is often experienced by some people during the earlier years. Ayurveda then offers some basic guidelines you need to observe such that you can adapt a lifestyle, diet, and hair care pattern to nourish your hair.
Structure of Hair Fall
One of the most basic steps to stop hair loss or reverse this condition is to understand why it happens in the first place. Your hair on the scalp is divided into two basic parts: root and shaft. The root is attached to the skin of your scalp and is surrounded with follicle. Meanwhile, the shaft contains three layers: (from the outer to inner layters) cuticle, medulla, and cortex.
Normal hair fall cycle happens every 2 to 3 months to make room for new hair to grow. This cycle goes on for up to 6 years wherein hair grows to approximately 1cm each month. Hair fall is a natural part of hair regrowth, but oftentimes excessive hair fall results to massive hair loss or baldness (alopecia).
Causes of Hair Loss According to Ayurveda
There are several reasons cited by Ayurveda experts as to the possible cause for hair loss:
- Exposure to foreign substances such as pollutants, sunlight, dust, water, etc..
- Excessive sweating.
- Anxiety or depression.
- Lack of personal hygiene.
- Irregular sleeping pattern.
- Too much alcohol intake.
- Certain diseases.
Ayurveda Remedies for Hair Loss
To counter the effects of the above-mentioned causes of hair loss, it is important to adapt the following natural treatment procedures:
- Intake of food substances that are rich in essential vitamins and nutrients to nourish your hair.
- Consuming foods rich in protein and iron.
- Recommended diet for hair loss patients include green leafy vegetables, salads, and fresh fruits.
- Using the right shampoo to wash your hair regularly.
- Preventing or treating fungal infections on your scalp.
- Preventing treatment or hairstyles that cause excessive pulling of your hair off the scalp.
Prevention and Hair Care
Aside from promoting natural means to providing remedy against hair loss or hair fall problem, Ayurveda experts also believe that you can use this natural technique to promote plentiful and stronger hair that is beautiful at the same time. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Keep your scalp cool and protected against harmful rays of the sun. when washing your hair, make sure to use lukewarm or cold water.
- Properly nourish your hair with the essential nutrients including zinc, protein, sulfur, iron, vitamin B-complex, essential fatty acids, and vitamin C.
- Regularly undergo your hair for hair analysis to evaluate any nutritional deficiencies or determine toxicity levels so you can adjust your hair care measures accordingly.
- Massage your hair with natural oils such as coconut and sesame, to lubricate and strengthen it from the roots, thus reducing the possibility of hair loss due to hair fall or breakage.