This is one of my fav throw back recipes. I created this a few years ago and I still love it.
Lately, Alex and I have been frequenting Zoe’s Kitchen for our weekly meetings. The food there is fresh and fabulous!
I tried the orzo tabbouleh salad with grilled shrimp and I LOVED it. It was amazing.
So I used that as inspiration for my orzo pasta with lemon herb shrimp.
- 1lb of uncooked shrimp
- 6 – 10 small lemons
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh sage (optional)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Orzo pasta
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
There aren’t very many ingredients in the recipe but there are a few different steps. I usually start with the thing that takes the longest.
#1 Roast Garlic (optional)
I like the taste of roasted garlic. It adds a little something special to any recipe. If you’re short on time, you can skip this step. Raw garlic works just as well. To roast your garlic take 3 – 4 cloves of raw garlic out of the skin, place it on a baking sheet with a little organic non-stick spray and place it in the oven for 400 degrees for 5 – 10 minutes or until brown.
#2 Marinade Shrimp
- I made a quick marinade for my shrimp with 1/4 cup olive oil, juice from 2 fresh squeezed lemons, 3 sprigs of thyme 1 tbs of oregano, 2 tsp of fresh cracked pepper and 2 cloves of crushed roasted garlic.
- Mix all of these ingredients together in a large bowl. Peel and clean your shrimp ( check out this video about how)
- Place the shrimp in the marinade and set aside. You can let your shrimp marinate from 30 minutes to over night. If you marinate them longer than an hour be sure to place the shrimp in the fridge.
#3 Assemble Pasta
- Next, you want to boil your pasta. I used about 1/2 bag of orzo pasta. Boil for 9 minutes or until al dente and set it aside.
- Place your drained pasta in a large bowl
- Cut your cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl of pasta
- Add 3 – 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Add 1 tsp of dried oregano
- Add 1/4 cup of crumbed feta cheese
- Add 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- Add 2 leaves of chopped fresh sage
- Add 2 cloves minced roasted garlic
#4 Last Step: Grill Shrimp
- Place a medium sized skillet over high heat and spray with organic non stick spray. Place marinaded shrimp in the pan and cook until pink.
- Add cooked shrimp to your pasta mix. Top off with the juice 3 fresh squeezed lemons, 1/4 cup of olive oil and season to taste. Toss pasta and serve! Yum!!
- Enjoy your CUSTOM healthy Sporty Afros recipe!
You can check out more of our healthy recipes here.
Follow Sporty Afros: