If you follow me in Instagram, you saw the picture I posted of my cauliflower crust pizza last night.
I must say, it’s one of the best healthy food remixes I’ve ever done! I love pizza, but as we all know it’s loaded with fat and simple carbs. Which aren’t awful in and of themselves but if you’re watching what you eat, one to many pizzas can be a diet killer.
Ingredients (for one small/medium sized pizza):
- 1.5 – 2 heads of cauliflower
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of fresh shredded mozzarella cheese ( you can use more or less depending on your diet and taste)
- 3 sliced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup of marinara sauce
Look how simple that ingredient list is! I love it.
Cauliflower Crust Directions:
- Wash and chop your cauliflower
- Place it into a food processor and turn on high until it’s “riced”
- Place large pot with 1/2 cup of water on the stove and bring it to a boil
- Put your riced cauliflower in the pot and stir for 5 minutes
- Place your cooked cauliflower into a fine mesh strainer and let it cool (if this takes too long, you can run cold water over it in the strainer to speed up the cooling process)
- Next, place your cooled cauliflower into a cheese cloth or a clean dish towel and squeeze all of the water out. This step is critical.
- When finished, your cauliflower should stick together like dough
- Place your cauliflower dough into a large bowl and add your beaten egg, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic power. Mix thoroughly.
- Next, place your mixture on a pan lined with parchment paper (not wax paper)
- Form it into a pizza dough shape. You can even raise the edges to make a crust.
- Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes or until brown and firm
Assemble your pizza
- After your cauliflower crust is cooked, spread on your marinara and sprinkle it with cheese
- Lastly, top with your sliced tomatoes and bake at 400 until your cheese is golden * I like to put my oven on broil to speed up the process. Just be sure to take the cauliflower crust off of the parchment paper or it will burn. I learned that the hard way!*
- After you remove your pizza from the oven, sprinkle with chopped basil
There you have it. A delicious healthy pizza!
- Shop for Gear and Products:Store
- Twitter: @SportyAfros
- Instagram: @SportyAfros & follow Alex @alexandriawill
- Google+: SportyAfros User
- Tumblr: SportyAfros
- Pinterst: SportyAfros