Alex and I have been vegetarians for almost a year now, and 99% of the recipes I posted in 2012 were vegetarian, but I do cook meat every week for my
boyfriend fiance (yay)! He is a strictly meat and potatoes kind of guy and it’s hard to sneak some veggies on to his plate. So, I make his favorite foods, just healthier. I use organic, lean meat, bake things instead of fry them and include one of the two veggies he eats in almost all of his meals.
This past week, I made him some rosemary chicken, roasted potatoes and broccoli. It’s a pretty simple recipe and it’s super healthy.
- Organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Broccoli crowns
- 4-5 russet potatoes
- Garlic powder
Rosemary Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 – 10 sprigs of fresh rosemary
This simple marinade is great. You can switch out the herbs or seasoning to make it work for any recipe.
- Marinade the chicken in a plastic bag and place in the fridge as long as you can (1 hour to overnight)
- After your chicken is sufficiently marinaded, place a large skillet on medium to high heat with 1 tbs of olive oil
- Take the chicken out of the bag, season with salt and pepper and place it in the skillet
- Cook chicken until for 5 – 7 minutes (or until right after the chicken turns from pink to white) You don’t want to overcook it!
- Garnish with fresh rosemary
Roasted Potatoes Recipe
I have a super quick roasted potato recipe. Usually, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to roast potatoes in the oven, but who has time for that?
Here is my short cut that will take you 15 – 20 min, tops!
- Set your oven to broil on high
- Rinse off 4-5 medium to large russet potatoes
- Use a fork or a knife of poke on all sides of each potato
- Place them in the microwave for 5 – 7 minutes or until soft
- On a cutting board, cut each potato in half and let it cool a bit (so you don’t burn your fingers when cutting them into cubes)
- Cut the skin off, and cut each potato into medium cubes
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray
- Place all of your potatoes on your baking sheet and season liberally with salt, garlic powder, a little pepper (1/2 tsp) and drizzle with a bit of olive oil
- Place your potatoes in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes or until brown
- Check them every few minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat
- Rinse off your broccoli and cut off the stems
- Place a skillet on the stove on medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil
- Place broccoli into skillet and sprinkle broccoli with salt and pepper
- Cover skillet
- Cook on low until bright green (5- 7 minutes)
Boom done! This is a quick healthy meal that you can prep the night before and whip up in about 45 min.