As we shift into the winter season, there is a lot of discussion about the benifits of using glycerin in the colder months. It is one of the best kept secrets in my opinion.
I figured I would explain a little bit about Vegetable Glycerin, my tips on using it and also where to buy it. I have used both glycerin and vegetable glycerin on my hair. I personally prefer to use vegetable glycerin year around.
About Vegetable Glycerin
Vegetable glycerin is a compound that comes from vegetable oil, usually palm or coconut. It has strong humectants properties, meaning it is able to retain moisture. It is clear, colorless and very sweet. Because it is soluble in water and alcohol, natural and easily produced, it is beneficial for manufacturing purposes and is one of the most common additives in a range of products from cosmetics to food. There are many benefits to vegetable glycerin.
Vegetable Glycerin and Hair Care
Vegetable glycerin’s moisturizing properties are beneficial for hair as well as skin. Dry, brittle hair will benefit from using hair care products made with it. Direct application of the oil can be extra powerful. If someone suffers from a dry, flaky scalp, rubbing vegetable glycerin into it can alleviate this irritation. This can be particularly beneficial for Black women who tend to have these types of hair issues. In addition to its moisturizing properties, it also strengthens the hair and makes breakage and split ends less likely.
- You cannot spray Vegetable glycerin directly on your hair. (It is thick!)
- Too much Vegetable Glycerin can leave flakes in your hair so use it sparingly
- Vegetable Glycerin helps rehydrate hair
- Its great for dry and dull hair
- It helps with with split ends, it seals in moisture and softens hair
- Must be combined with water and specific oils perfectly to have the best effects
Because of the last note, this is why I formulated Sporty Afros G+ spray.
- The only glycerin mix I use is Sporty Afros G+ Spray because of it has the perfect combination of oils, water and glycerin.
- It instantly rehydrates my hair and wigs!
- I use G+ Spray 3 to 5 times a day during the winter instead of water
- I use this spray year around
- Great before and after working out
- When I re-twist my hair, I use this spray instead of water then add conditioner or gel/curl product.
- After continued use, you will be able to tell the difference in your hair’s moisture retention. (Try it for a month)
- You can buy the spray at the Sporty Afros Store!