Researchers found about two of every five African-American women said they avoid exercise because of concerns about their hair, and researchers say that is concerning given the United States’ obesity epidemic.
Rochelle Mosley, who owns Salon 804 in the Harlem neighborhood of New York City, told Reuters Health some of her African-American clients come in once per week to get their hair straightened at a cost of about $40.
They may not want to wash their hair more than once a week to keep their hairstyle, and may avoid sweating because of that.
Here are the findings
- More than half were working out 75 minutes per week. This translates to 15 minutes five times a week or three 30 minute workouts
- More than 25% of the surveyed women didn’t exercise at all
- About a 1/3 of the women said they exercise less than they’d like because of their hair,
- 50% admit they have considered changing their hair for exercise
Fitness and Women in America
- The recommended amount of moderate-intensity exercise is 150 minutes per week
- 50% of women in America exercise close to 150 minutes per week or five times a week for 30 minutes
- Black women are not the only women who have concerns about their hair & working out.
So, let’s stop talking about it. How can we solve this issue? Sporty Afros has you covered.. We are THE SOLUTION!
Sporty Afros’ Workout Hair Care Solutions
Before you workout
- Make sure your hair is pulled away from your face
- Natural haired ladies, make sure you spray your hair with a moisturizing spray and keep it braided, twisted or pulled back to keep it from drying it out.
- Permed and transitioning ladies, check out these tips about what to do with your hair before you workout.
- If your hair is pressed or relaxed try wrapping it or pin curling it and tying it down before your run. This helps keep frizziness to a minimum. Try the Save Your Do wrap to help absorb moisture from your hair.
- Tips for Natural and Permed Ladies: Use this time to do a hot oil treatment! (Permed ladies be sure to do this on a wash day). Put a few tablespoons of your favorite oil on your hair and scalp, pull it back and put on a plastic shower cap. Then, wrap your head with your favorite scarf. The heat you generate from working out will gently warm the oil on your head, allowing it to better penetrate your hair.
- If you did a hot oil treatment and you have a perm, you’ll want to wash and condition your hair and style as usual. If you’re natural you can just co-wash (wash with conditioner) and style as usual.
- Permed, straight and transitioning ladies here are a few more tips about how to care for your hair after a workout.
- If you didn’t complete the hot oil treatment and you have natural hair, be sure rehydrate your hair with Sporty Afros G+ Moisturizing Spray or a daily light moisturizing spray.
- Hair Tip: Use bobby pins to move sweaty hair out of your face. Bobby pins are perfect for a quick, effortless style no matter what your hair texture. Check out this post for a cute, quick updo using bobby pins.
- Natural ladies, you can let your hair air dry and use small amount of curling custard or gel to refresh your curls.
- Follow the links below for more details on specific hair styles after working out
Example of Workout Hair Care Solutions
The French Braid:Perfect for straight or permed hair
Utilize this hairstyle a few days before it’s time to wash your hair. At night, French braid your hair in two-to-four sections using a light styling product. After your workout, let your hair dry completely before taking the braids down to avoid frizziness.
*Tip* The longer you leave the braids in, the better your style will look.
Here are more links and tips for workout haircare solutions:
- Swimming Workout Hair Care
- Alex’s Swimming Hair Care Tips
- Running Workout Hair Care
- How to Care for Braids While Swimming
- Types of Swim Caps – Learn Which One Will Work for You
- Whitney’s Swimming Hair Care Routine
- How to Structure Your Swim Workout
- Post-Workout updo for any hair texture – The Blowout Bantu Knot Updo
- Olympians and Fitness Hairstyles – Some of My Favorites
- Gym Bag Essentials – How to Pack Everything You Need for Your Swim Workout
- Cycling Workout Hair Care
- How to Care for Pressed Hair While Working Out
- Looking cute right after leaving the gym? It’s possible!!
- Four Week SHRED – Lose Weight and Get Healthy from Hair to Toe
- Short Natural Hair Care Tutorial
- Sporty Afros Store
Sporty Afros was created to be a resource and a support community for ladies trying to live healthy active lifestyles. We’re here to help! Have questions or comments? Hit us up!!!
- Twitter: @sportyafros
- Instagram: alexandriawill
- Tumblr: sportyafros.tumblr.com
- Pinterst: pinterest.com/sportyafros/
- Youtube: youtube.com/user/SportyAfros